Program History

The Section of Pediatric Surgery at Yale University was formalized in 1964 under the leadership of Lawrence “Larry” Pickett, M.D. Eight years later, in 1972, Dr. Pickett was named Chief of Staff at Yale-New Haven Hospital and Robert J. Touloukian, M.D. was appointed as the new Section Chief in 1973. Over the ensuing 30 years, Dr. Touloukian led the Section through significant expansion. Notable accomplishments under Dr. Touloukian’s leadership include the development of an ECMO program in 1993, the establishment of the Pediatric Surgery Fellowship Training Program in 1994 and the formation of a Level 1 Pediatric Trauma Center at Yale-New Haven Children’s Hospital. From 2003 to 2010, the Section was led by R. Lawrence Moss, M.D. who expanded the faculty and broadened the research productivity of the Section. In 2011 Michael G. Caty, M.D., M.M.M. was recruited as the Section Chief of Pediatric Surgery and Surgeon-in-Chief of the Yale-New Haven Children’s Hospital. 

The Yale-New Haven Hospital was originally chartered in 1826 and is considered among the first hospitals in the United States. In 2012, Yale-New Haven Hospital acquired the nearby Hospital of St. Raphael creating a merged 1,519 bed institution, the fourth largest hospital on the United States. The Yale-New Haven Children’s Hospital, an adjoining structure, was opened in 1993 and, in total, is comprised of 221 beds including 19 PICU beds and 72 NICU beds. Total Children’s Hospital operating room volume exceeds 7,000 annual cases and emergency department volume exceeds 30,000 visits annually including over 500 trauma evaluations and 351 trauma admissions from July 2012 to June 2013.